Monday, March 8, 2010

Replace Negative Self-talk with the Positive

Henry Ford said, “If you believe you can and if you believe you can’t, you’re right.”

Many women fear confronting the memories of the past. Why do we need to? To know the why opens the door to seeing the possibility of seeing the seriousness of a problem and the need for more than “Just stop” or “Go away thought.” Often mere behavior modification isn’t the answer. Recognition of the motivation behind the thought or behavior reveals our need to avail ourselves to the work of the Holy Spirit so he can expose the darkness and bring truth and light into our life.

When we understand the memory or the thought, the soul heals because we are freed from unnecessary guilt, anxiety, and shame. Interrogating the whys is to embrace God’s biblical path for your life. With the guidance of the Holy Spirit, ask:

1. What is the source? Where did that thought come from? The devil, the flesh, or the world? Yes! Toss it out.
2. Can I defend this thought from the Word of God? No! Toss it out.
3. Is this pride? Is this about me receiving credit? Am I thinking too highly of myself or poorly about someone else? Yes! Toss it out.
4. If I follow this thought will this get me where God wants me to go in life? No! Toss it out.
5. Will this thought build me up or tear me down? Jealousy, greed, anger, and pride will tear you down. Toss it out.
6. Will I reap freedom and joy by allowing this thought through my sieve? No! Toss it out.
7. Is this thought scripturally sound? Is it truth? Go ahead and do it…everybody’s doing it. No! Toss it out.
8. Can I share this thought? No! Toss it out.
9. Does this thought make me feel shamed or condemned? Yes! Toss it out.
10. Does this fit who I am (my character) as the daughter and a follower of Jesus? No! Toss it out.
11. Does this thought bring glory to Jesus? No! Toss it out.
12. Am I buying into the devil’s message through romance novels, soap operas, gossipy conversations, movies, or magazines? Yes! Toss it out.

Reflect: God’s Word says, “It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery” (Gal. 5:1). Stand firm on your foundation of who God is. Stand firm on who you are in Jesus Christ. Stand firm on your faith on all of God’s promises every day.

Pray: Jesus, thank you for continuing to liberate me. Deliver me today from any yoke of bondage by revealing anything that needs to be broken and restored by you. Help me to recognize and stand strong against my enemies and stand firm in who I am in you. Protect me and help me to repent so I won’t be drawn back into those things which have kept my mind enslaved to the world’s, the devil’s, and my own flesh’s ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment