Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Why do I let my negative thoughts influence me?

How would answer hat question? I say it’s because we are in bondage. One who is in bondage suffers captivity of some sort. Not literal chains or bars, but in beliefs and behavior. We cannot spend day after day in this world without it affecting our minds, our hearts, and our souls. They become unguarded. Our hearts start to shift away from God. And the ironic thing is the harder we work to become free, the more freedom we seem to lose.

Most often we aren’t even aware this is happening. We go about our business believing all is well, but deep down inside something feels wrong. If we live with something long enough, we don’t pay attention to it. This is the way life is supposed to work out! That’s bondage. David cried to God, “How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?” (Ps. 13:2, my emphasis). His soul is conflicted.

A major portion of understanding how our past influences the present is becoming aware of the three major influences in our lives and then learning how to resist them. Toxic thinking is influenced by three different, but related, ways: through the world, through spiriutal warfare, and through our own flesh--our own nature. These negative influences commonly work together to lead people away from God, negatively affecting our beliefs, thinking, and behavior. These are our conflict zones. Next week we'll talk about "the world."

This is an excerpt from the book: Breaking the Cover Girl Mask
Check out my website: www.olivebranchoutreach.com/edindex.htlm for lots of inspiration, Scripture and help.

No comments:

Post a Comment